New Journeys!-

It’s been a long time since I posted anything, I can’t believe how time has gotten away from me! However, I plan to try and be so much better about frequent posting now. I’m in the midst of a brand new journey. My husband’s job was transferred, so we have moved across the country! I’ve lived just about my whole life in Michigan, but he was transferred to Albuquerque, NM, so that necessitated  a BIG journey!  

Mike’s last day of work in MI was June 28th, 2012, and the following morning he left for Albuquerque. His first day to work in Albuquerque was July 9th, so he wanted to get there and have time to find a house for us to rent before beginning work. He made it there by July 1st, which was considerably faster than he should have done it, given that he also needs spinal surgery. It would have been so much easier on him if he could’ve taken a longer time with more overnight stops. We reserved a room for one week at a Super 8 in Albuquerque, and he was able to move out of it before the end of the week, having found us a BEAUTIFUL home to rent!  

The children and I did not leave until July 30th. I am a consultant for Close To My Heart (, and had pre-orderered my fall/winter catalogs, which were not shipped until July 12th, so we had to wait. That turned out not to be too bad of a thing, because I needed every minute I could get to get our life packed up and ready to move across the country! In fact, I finished up the packing the morning of July 30th, while waiting for the moving truck to arrive! 🙂

It was very hard, that last month, basically living as a single mom, while trying to pack, have a moving sale, plus add in how hard it was as each week went by, another goodbye either was happening, or getting closer. Before Mike even left, the kids and I went to my best friend Charlene’s for a few days, it would be our last time to celebrate our ks birthdays together. So in the 3 days we were there, we had on one day a party for my twins, whose birthdays are May 1st, and the next day a party for 2 of her kids, whose birthdays are in June. I was just fine, until it was time to leave for home. When we said goodbye and hugged, it felt like it would be the last time (and it will be, for a long time), I began to cry. I forced it back, but when we pulled out of the driveway and got to the end of the street, I couldn’t hold it back anymore. I sobbed for at least the first half hour of our trip home. Charlene and I have always been such an important support system for each other, and now it’s pretty much impossible for either of us to take care of the other one’s kids if needed. She kept my kids when I had my bariatric surgery, for example. I have hope that they will be able to come and visit us sometime within the next year, I miss em all, so much, and so do the boys.

When we left on July 30th, we stretched our budget as hard as we could to enable the boys and me to go up north (in MI) to spend two days. I wanted that, so we could spend time with my mother’s  only surviving siblings and their spouses. They are all in their 80’s, so I’m fairly certain this was my last time to ever see them alive. 😦 I’m so thankful that my husband felt strongly enough about my doing this that he also made sacrifices in order that we could go. We really enjoyed our time there, we spent time with my aunts and uncles, and my Uncle Jim took the boys out in his truck for 2 or 3 hours and showed them all kinds of things, and took them rock hunting. The kids got to watch Uncle Jim use his machine to polish a piece of rhodonite that is shaped like a heart, and make a necklace out of it for me. My Uncle Leon made me a beautiful bird house which will sit on a post made from part of a slender tree trunk. We also went to Torch Lake, where I spent just about every weekend with my family during my younger years, so that my kids could have one last time swimming there.

Wednesday, we left to begin our trip to Albuquerque. We stopped in Holland MI to see my Aunt Carol and went to the Lake MI beach and supper with her. That was so fun! After that, we spent the night in Portage, IN, which is just outside of Gary, IN.

Then it was on through IL., on our way to St. Louis, MO, where we spent the night at the Hampton Inn, which was a lovely gift from my cousin Anne. She met us there the next day and took us to the arch, where we went through the museum, and then went to the top of the arch, as well. We had an early dinner together at a very good BBQ restaurant, and then after our goodbyes, the boys and I headed for Republic, MO, where we spent one night and then spent a couple hours the next morning with my cousin Ed and his lovely wife Demara.

After Republic, we headed for Owasso, OK, which is right outside of Tulsa, and spent the night with an old friend and his wife, Chip & Sheila. Had a wonderful time with them, the boys LOVED their pool, LOL! Wen we left there the next morning, it was to head through Oklahoma City, where we met up for a late lunch with a friend from a Christian Unschoolers yahoo group. That was fun, we’d never met “in person”, only online. We met at a cool place called City Bites, good subs for the kids, and a good salad for me. It was wonderful meeting Deanna, she is as nice in person as she seemed to be online. :-).

From there, we headed to Amarillo, TX for our very last night on the road, where we found a lovely surprise. Our room at the Super 8 was a SUITE, for less than the cost of the little room we had in the Super 8 in Portage, IN! The lady at the desk said it was the only Super 8 like this in the whole country, and the only reason we were there was because the one my husband had stayed in in Amarillo was full up, LOL! It was very nice, and for once we didn’t need to use the inflatable sleeping bags for the twins! 🙂

Our last day on the road, we decided to take our time, as we needed to wait to arrive until after Mike got out of work, because I did not yet have keys to the house. I forgot that we’d be crossing into an earlier time zone again when we crossed into NM, so when I realized we were now an hour earlier, I decided to kill time by finding somewhere for a late lunch. We got off of the expressway and found a nice little diner on historic Route 66, In Santa Rosa, NM. The food was very good, and plentiful, too. Even on the little kids menu the portions were good size, and there was a taco meal on the kiddie menu as well, which was something new for our kids. They loved the place, especially the decor, very much what would make you think of Route 66. Everything was freshly made, even the salsa for the chips they brought us was homemade, and excellent!

After that, we headed to Albuquerque, and my introduction was driving on I40 through the city during rush hour. Not very fun at all! We arrived at our new home about 10 minutes before Mike got there from work.

We love the home we’re renting. We will rent for at least the next couple of years before even thinking about purchasing a house again, so it was important to find a house that was right for us. We homeschool, so five of us are here even during the day, so we need space to be in. It’s all on one floor, which is nice, and there is plenty of space for people to spread out and be alone when they need or want to. It has a very open floor plan, which is also quite nice, makes it seem so spacious! We have a good size main bathroom, and also a master suite, with our own full bath and large walk in closet!

We got involved right away with a local unschoolers group, and have attended every park day since the second week we were here. The boys really like the other kids in the group, and I like the other moms.

I am still working on finishing the unpacking, and we need to buy a freezer, some bookshelves, some storage shelves for the garage, and furniture for the front living/dining room, but things are coming along! Now, if I can just get used to the much higher altitude here, that will go a long way toward helping me have the energy to get it all done!

My PLAN is to try to write something here a minimum of once a week, maybe more often if I have anything of any interest to write about. I’m hoping that getting used to this new life, and homeschooling, etc, will be plenty interesting, and that I’ll actually remember to get on here and write about our life!

Leave a comment

Filed under Birthdays, family, Kids, Travel

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s