We were given a complete annual membership to IXL Learning for the purpose of this review. Depending on the grade level you are using, with IXL you get access to Math, Language Arts, Science and Social Studies!
We focussed on the kindergarten and first grade levels which cover math and language arts, however there is so very much more, as you can see right below!
- Pre-K: Counting objects, inside and outside, longer and shorter, letter names, rhyming words, etc.
- Kindergarten: Comparing numbers, names of shapes, consonant and vowel sounds, sight words, etc.
- First Grade: Adding and subtracting, tens and ones, telling time, categories, nouns, verb tense, time order, etc.
- Second Grade: Place-value models, contractions, irregular plurals, plants and animals, historical figures, etc.
- Third Grade: Multiplying and dividing, bar graphs, pronouns, possessives, weather and climate, geography, etc.
- Fourth Grade: Fractions and decimals, synonyms and antonyms, fossils and rock layers, government, etc.
- Fifth Grade: Multiplying fractions and decimals, idioms, prepositions, photosynthesis, molecules, economics, etc.
- Sixth Grade: Ratios and percentages, variable expressions, Greek and Latin roots, genetics, ancient history, etc.
- Seventh Grade: Proportional relationships, phrases and clauses, connotations, climate change, world history, etc.
- Eighth Grade: Linear functions, the Pythagorean theorem, active and passive voice, chemical formulas, civics, etc.
- Ninth Grade: (Algebra 1) Quadratic equations, scatter plots, exponents, parallel language, figures of speech, semicolons, etc.
- Tenth Grade: (Geometry) Congruent triangles, geometric constructions, colons, word patterns, audience and tone, etc.
- Eleventh Grade: ( Algebra 2) Trigonometric functions, logarithms, polynomials, supporting evidence, claims and counterclaims, etc.
- Twelfth Grade: (Precalculus & Calculus) Complex numbers, derivatives, limits, domain-specific vocabulary, writing arguments, etc.
- Spanish for every age: Time expressions, adjectives to describe people, present tense of regular verbs, formality, etc.
As you have seen from the above listing, IXL Learning is an immersive learning experience for grades K-12. This online membership provides comprehensive, standards-aligned content for math, language arts, science, and social studies.
As I said above, we focussed on the early grades because of special needs, but having explored the topics above which are WAY above my kids, I am kind of thinking I may put myself in as a student in order to refresh some things and perhaps learn some that I was never even taught!
Here is “The Puzzler” working on Math, where he primarily kept himself. It is where he really needs the most help.
He has been really enjoying IXL Learning, often ASKING if I will please log him into my computer so he can “Do that math thing, Mom?” I really don’t hear requests for schoolwork very much around here, that’s for sure, and if for not other reason I would tell you I love IXL Learning.
There are, however, many reasons to like IXL Learning. I like that my kids can move themselves up a level if they feel confident in doing so. “The Puzzler” did, and I didn’t even realize it until I checked! I receive emails telling me how he is doing, along with being able to log in as myself and get a more complete picture of his progress.
Here, you can watch a short video about student experience with continuous diagnostics:
Students can also earn awards. Here is a shot from early on:
They can earn certificates which you can print out for them . . .
Please do read what the other 89 Review Crew members thought of their own (and their students!) experiences with IXL Learning by clicking on the banner below!
As always, I would just love it if you would join me in all of “My Journeys Through Life.” Just go to the subscription box at the top of the blog and enter your email information. After that, you will always know when there is something new happening. I hope to see you here very soon! -)